Wednesday, February 4, 2015

1/7/15 Workshop Casa Latina Sarah White

On 1/7, Esteban presented on antivirus software and file-sharing/backup software (Dropbox) to the adult literacy group. Freddy and I were available to offer help and support.

I also found out that our order of tablets arrived! I'm wondering if we will be able to use any of the tablets on 1-14? I'm also wondering if I could borrow one next week to play around with and get used to the interface?

Each student had their particular interests and challenges related to the topic. Making the second half of the class productive seemed to require 1-to-1 support or 1-to-2 support. The difficulty I had in the MSF lesson was also that students required a great deal of individualized support. When thinking about writing the lesson plans for Capstone to be used by future volunteers, I'm wondering about ways to write them such that one volunteer could work more easily with up to 10 students (this is sort of an arbitrary goal, but it seems reasonable). I'm still playing around with different ideas. I'm thinking of the possibility of a model that looks a bit like fearless cards - step-by-step instructions for different tasks that students could pull out and use with the help of a friend? And perhaps trying to "formalize" pair work a bit? This actually seems "weirder" in a small, friendly class. In a slightly larger class it doesn't feel awkward to assign pairs.

A lot is happening in other classes that is related. Next week I'll be working on an outline of my deliverables for Capstone. The first draft will be due the 18th, and the final due the 25th. At some point between the 18th and the 25th, it'd be good to run the document past Ivette. I admit that I kind of feel about Capstone documents the way that I used to feel about grant reporting: we run around like crazy to make it work in the real world, and then make it look on paper however it needs to look on paper to appease the Masters of Bureaucracy. That being said, I don't want to completely brush off the process because I would like a minimum of headaches come Spring.

I am also participating in a TASCHA research seminar for the Myanmar Information Laboratory. I've been tasked with a "Lit Review" of sorts: finding digital & info literacy curricula from similar contexts with a focus on smart phones and making a series of recommendations for librarian-training workshops. I think some of what I learn will inform the lesson plans I write up for my Capstone.


No comments:

Post a Comment