Wednesday, February 4, 2015

1/28/15 , Casa Latina, Adult Literacy Workshop, Freddy Mora



 
Location: Casa Latina, Seattle

Date: 1/28/15

Time: 5:00-7:00 PM

 

Last week at Casa Latina was an interesting one. The woman seemed eager to get started, and it was interesting to hear about their Craigslist experience. I ended up working with one individual who needed help with her email. She stated that she needed to send out an email, but was offline, so she drafted it and waited later to send it out. She pulled it up for me and stated that she needed to paste it into the body of another email as well. She asked if I could help with this and I agreed. I wanted to pop up this draft in another window to make things easier, and when I went to do so, the original draft disappeared. She got upset immediately, and I felt terrible. I could tell how important that email was to her so I spent the remainder of the workshop trying to figure out what had happened. To this very day, I still don’t know. What was interesting is I never got a “pop up” box stating I was to discard the email, and if I wish to proceed with what I was doing… So I was so confused as to what had happened. Moving forward I will be more cautious as to what I am assisting with.

 

In the past I have enjoyed helping out the women with any side questions they had. In one workshop I spent that time setting up her Kindle for her and showing the woman how it works. It was quite the learning experience for me too, for I have never used a Kindle before. I am looking forward to the next session of Casa Latina, since this time we will be at the library!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your reflections Freddy. What questions and or issues arise for you after this incident? How do you feel this impacts the way you interact with assisting in the future.
    I totally felt her pain and knew your intentions were good, which is why it felt even worse. Can you share about a time in which you have been on the other side of the technology failing? Given limitations of working with technology, what would you do the same or differently, next time?

    ReplyDelete