Monday, February 16, 2015

DATE Reflection #2 TIffany


As I read this week, some things jump out at me as I think about my past experience with teaching bilingual learners in my own community.  The article on Critical Constructivism highlighted the "value of knowledge traditionally dismissed by academics".  I thought about a very objectivist approach to education adopted by our local schools in which English is demanded in all activities.  They do not value the second language of our students and believe it gets in the way of their progress.  How can this be when most of the world speaks more than one language?  Both the language used at school and the language used at home are important to the whole person.

Also I read about a woman working in Haiti who was more interested in the specific goal of helping women learn to make money by teaching them to use computers.  "We do not use computers for fun..." she said, as if that meant her classes were of great importance.  I think fun can be just as important as finding a job, or getting health information or learning to use e-mail.  I think having fun can foster the very best kind of learning.

Finally, the article on Critical Constructivism helped me to put my finger on one of the most important parts of gathering information from participants. "Respect for subjugated knowledge can lead to expected responses rather than authentic responses."  What this means to me is that if people have the impression that certain answers are the "right" answers because those individuals have a higher level of educational experience, they may be afraid to be themselves and communicate in a way that is not real for them.  "Real" is always the best kind of information - no matter who gives the information - no matter what language - whether it is a stay at home Mom or a business woman - a girl or a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment