Saturday, January 31, 2015

1/28/15 Workshop Casa Latina Sarah White

Location: Casa Latina
Date: 1/28/2015
Time: 5 to 7pm

Overview:
Technical difficulties got me down from the get-go. I forgot to print my lesson plan, and it took me quite some time to do that from a Casa Latina computer for this reason and that. Then I couldn't show the videos that I'd planned to show because the laptops didn't have Adobe Flash player, and I wasn't given the password to download programs.
During the lesson, people were coming and going at different times, and adults and children alike were having meltdowns. I was finding it all distracting -- not sure if participants were feeling the same way or not.

The videos were about scams on Craigslist. Luckily, one of the participants had some experience with those and was able to share. (She's such a great person to have in class, and we're lucky to have her.)
I think also Craigslist ended up being a difficult topic to teach. Navigating the website required some foundational skills. Some people had them, some didn't. And though I took copious notes on how to set up language settings and translation in Google Chrome, I managed to overlook the most obvious way to translate the website. 

I was also thinking about how much to assert myself at the front of the class. For the first part of class, I don't think anyone needs to be touching their technology. It's distracting! Let's just have a discussion and then take a look at some demos on the projector before we get lost in handheld tech. Maybe I'll try shutting the lights off in the room? I was just co-teaching an SCC class on using library databases with a librarian, and she said in a strong voice (almost the type of voice a mother uses when she wants you to clean your room), "I know there are computers in front of you, but we're not using them yet, so I need you to look at me!" I don't think I have the benefit of age to get away with that statement in that tone.
Besides, I am trying to break down the power dynamic with teacher-as-expert, and students as passive listeners. But, at the same time, I don't want the class to devolve into chaos. I need to find that place where I can keep everything moving in a positive direction without forcing it....seeking balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment