Thursday, February 12, 2015

1/28/2015_Ivette,_Casa Latina_Workshop

Location:     Casa Latina                 

Describe Context – 
           
Date: 1/28/15

Name: Ivette Bayo Urban


List things that happened today:

The students and I headed to Casa Latina and arrived there a little after 5:00.  
We had other volunteers, Sandra, Elan and Liz with us.  
Emily was working on the report she needed to submit to the City of Seattle.  
Sarah already had the room set up and we had a few women already there, ready to start.  The topic was craiglist. 
Freddy joined the class also.


In the news:
Next week we go to Federal Way Library and take it mobile.


List Action Items from workshop:

Sarah led the craiglist and the women were using the tablets.  
Pick up tablets and see if Emily can charge them charged for next week.


  Things to look up, check out and explore:
  • Make sure we have everything logistically ready for carpooling next week.  
  • Confirm drivers

Describe an important an evocative social interaction that happened today:



Describe a success.
Everyone was engaged, whether with the adults, the children and even Emily working on the grant adminsitration.  I was thankful to be able to touch base with her and get her the information she needed for the report, even if it was later than what she needed, given her schedule.  Next time we will plan ahead to make it work in a more timely fashion - but for today we got it to work. 


Describe a failure.  What fell through the cracks?
I felt horrible that one of the women was upset that there had been an email lost.  She had spent a lot of time working on it and in the blink of an eye, when Freddy was helping her it was gone.  I wish I would have dealt with the challenge better, but the computer she was using was not one that I was familiar with I felt she was disappointed that we did not have the answers as to where her email went and how it was deleted.


What surprised me the most?
I was not in one place very long.  I didn't feel like I was part of any group since I spent my energies going between the children, the adults and emily for the reports.  What this confirmed it that there are a lot of moving pieces and that I need to set a time to process and delegate so I can BE in the moment. 


Reflections
I did take the opportunity to work discuss the challenges of working with technology and reminded the participants in the room to use the four agreements since, the intent Freddy had in helping her was with good intention, even if the outcome for her was not.  I have been there, deleted something, spent so mcuh time and energy to have it go in the wind and have my hard work disappear.  It is not a good feeling, but I think with these experiences, I learn that the only constant is that things CAN go wrong, and sometimes they do.  But life has shown me that we cannot change what happens to us, but we can control how we react to it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment