Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Where I'm From Willa

I am from books
from penny candies and tootsie roll pops. 
I am from the islands of green 
(surrounded by glistening blue, floating on the waves
It tasted of salt and safety.)

I am from the Madrone trees,
the Magnolia flowers
Their peace instills my own 
as their petals and bark fall with me.

I’m from the warm after dinner pie and the desire to create 
from Marsha and Walter
and Roy.
I’m from the misunderstood senses of humor and
mispronouncing large vocabularies learned from reading.

page2image10568

From one, two, three and oh, well. 
I’m from working to be a force of good, bettering my understanding of myself.
I’m from Seattle and places defined by arbitrary political guidelines, bread and cake
From the mother who paints when she feels safe,
the father who helps people to walk. 

Trapped in a picture album on my mother's bookshelf,
on my father's wall,
on my computer, 
we look young and happy.

I am from those I love,
from those I have loved,
from those I will love.

No comments:

Post a Comment