Wednesday, April 29, 2015

4/29/15 Workshop Douglass-Truth Library Brad

Location: Douglass-Truth Library
Time: 5-7
Date: 4/29/2015

Today we made mothers’ day the focus of our workshop with the children. The first activity we did was a bingo-style game with the group as a whole (women and children together). I loved doing an activity with everyone together; it is refreshing to have both the families and the facilitators all playing the same game. I really felt like we were bridging the gap between our communities and enjoying a moment together. As an added bonus this game helped me learn some new Spanish vocabulary, which is always positive.
            Once several rounds of the game were played and people collected their prizes, the technology workshop for the women started and our group split like usual. With mothers’ day fast approaching, an obvious craft we could do was make cards for our moms. Some of the children got very creative with their cards, using a variety of colors and drawing techniques (I totally forgot about holding three crayons at once!). One child asked Willa how to memorize the colors of the rainbow- ROYGBIV!

            Making crafts for our moms made me miss my own mother. Sometimes it is difficult going to school so far away from home, but I never forget all of the awesome things my mom has done for me over the years. My parents continued support helps me every step of the way along this new journey at college.

No comments:

Post a Comment