Saturday, January 24, 2015

1/7/2015 Casa Latina Workshop Klarissa

Location: Casa Latina
Date: 1/7/2015
Time: 5pm 

I was with the children today. I was nervous before hand because Jen and Xochitl were not here, and I realized I would have to take over the children’s program the night before. I have never done professional childcare or storytime, and was unsure of how to go about planning activities. As usual however, worry turned out to be unnecessary. Following Ivette’s advice after our trial runs last month, I picked a VIEWS2 focus (phonetic awareness). I found a few songs that pay attention to vowel sounds or rhyming, and thought about how we can ask questions while playing that focus on phonetics.
 Ivette and Willa were with me in the children’s room. We had quite a few kids this week! With this experience and the last one, it seems we will have a few under 18 months, who require more one on one attention. I realized that the older kids are happy to entertain themselves, but also willing to help with the small ones. Like last time, we did not really get a structure established, there was a lot of free play, and no storytime. But rather than feeling failed because we didn’t get to the planned activities, I felt okay with that. Instead we focused, even in play, on asking about spelling and sounds, or even just asking probing questions about what they’re playing with.

I’m excited to be back this quarter and to see these workshops take off after our planning last quarter!

No comments:

Post a Comment