Sunday, January 25, 2015

1/21/15 Casa Latina Workshop Sarah


Location: Casa Latina
Date: 1/21/2014
Time: 5 to 7

Overview: 

I'll admit I was quite tired on Wednesday, and happy that Ivette was leading the workshop and that the attendance wasn't very high.  I'll have a double cappuccino before we head to Federal Way!

Students got quite experimental looking on Google for business card templates, and waded into area we didn't know much about. Two students successfully designed business cards. A third already had a design she liked. A fourth got bogged down in google searches for just the right picture, layout, etc. Who hasn't gone down that path? It makes me think of Berkowitz and Eisenberg's Big 6 skills for solving information problems: 

1. Task Definition: Define the information problem; Identify information needed
2. Information Seeking Strategies: Determine all possible sources; Select the best sources
3. Location and Access: Locate sources (intellectually and physically); Find information within sources
4. Use of Information: Engage (e.g., read, hear, view, touch); Extract relevant information
5. Synthesis: Organize from multiple sources; Present the information
6. Evaluation: Judge the product (effectiveness), Judge the process (efficiency)
See: http://big6.com/pages/about/big6-skills-overview.php

Perhaps she was having trouble transitioning into step 5. In any project, I always have trouble starting step 5. Synthesis hurts my brain. If this comes up in a workshop again, I'll be more proactive with helping to start the Synthesizing!

Reflections on the project:
Ivette and I have synchronously been sharing thoughts, but I think it was confirmed at our meeting. As she's been moving into a more "coordinating" role, I began to wonder if I couldn't better serve the project by focusing on teaching during Spring quarter, rather than writing up the lessons. I'll admit that teaching makes me inordinately anxious, even after all these years. Please excuse any lapses in decorum as I deal with my stage fright.

I'm also starting my lit review for Capstone, and I'm happy that Ivette gave me lots of leads, and we have the annotated bibliography for class as well.

Ivette's comment about her exchange with a fellow Ph.D. student made me think about the relationships between "front-line" service providers, administrators, and academics/researchers. There's definitely attitudes and narratives in each tribe both about themselves and each other. When I worked at the Literacy Volunteers, we talked amongst ourselves about "being in the trenches" as a badge of pride. So to my fellow service-learners: here's to the trenches!

No comments:

Post a Comment