Sunday, January 18, 2015

1/14/15 Brad reflections

Location:  Casa Latina     
               
Date: January 14th, 2015  

Name: Brad Holland         


List things that happened today:

I rode with Ivette and the other students to casa, arriving at 5pm.
After quick introductions with Sarah and some of the women, Willa and I went to find the technology supplies in the other room.
Willa and I began to set up the tablets for the women to use; Willa was responsible for the iPads while I took on the Android tablets.
For the first 45 Minutes or so, I worked on setting up the eight android tablets for use. This involved changing the time zone, language settings, and applying software updates to the tablets.
Eventually, Sarah needed my help with assisting one woman figure out how to create new folders on her email application on her smartphone.
After this was finished, I resumed working on the tablets until I had to help Freddy figure out how to use a Gmail address on windows phone. This issue was tricky and took most of the remaining workshop time.


In the news:
N/A

List Action Items from workshop:
The woman who was having trouble figure out her Microsoft account needs to bring her old password from home so we can access the account settings.


Things to look up, check out and explore:
Review common technological terms in Spanish so I have a larger vocabulary.


Describe an important an evocative social interaction that happened today:
The first time I assisted one of the women with a technology question was a very heartwarming experience. She seemed genuinely appreciative of my help, and was understanding of the language barrier. It has been almost a year since I last participated in a volunteer project, and the familiar warm, fuzzy feeling of helping others came back all in a rush during this workshop.

Describe a success.
I completed setting up all 8 tablets and successfully updated their software. The next step is to figure out which 3rd party apps they need to install.


Describe a failure.  What fell through the cracks?
At one point I needed to explain a complex concept to one of the women, but my Spanish was not developed enough to accurately communicate this across. I had to explain the situation to Sarah in English so that she could translate for me.



What surprised me the most?
How enthusiastic these women are in learning new technology literacy.


Reflections
The language barrier is going to continue being a challenge. However, I enjoy having to stretch myself and learn new things as I go along so this obstacle will only be a positive one in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment