Friday, October 3, 2014

10/3/14 Casa Latina Workshop Xochitl

Last Friday (10/3) I went to Casa Latina along with Ivette, Klarissa, and Sarah. We attended the Mujeres sin Fronteras workshop. This was my first time going to Casa Latina. We started off with introductions, then had several activities throughout the workshop. One activity that stood out to me is the exercise in escuchando con poder - listening with power. This involved getting into pairs and talking about yourself with no interruptions for three minutes and then listening to the other person do the same. I found this a little challenging because I found I ran out of things to say, maybe because I did not know the woman I was talking to. But this was a great exercise for how to be a good, active listener in conversation. Another activity that I enjoyed was when we were asked to draw or describe a goal for the immediate future or distant future that we have for ourselves. It was nice hearing everyone share what theirs was. Many women had the goal of finishing up school or getting their driver's license/permit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment