Saturday, October 4, 2014

10/4/14 Reflection Domonique

Last week one of my mentee's who is a senior here at the University of Washington came into my office wanting to discuss a trend that she noticed when speaking to young Latina's on campus. As a young Latina herself she found too often that these young women lacked confidence and she wanted to make an impact. Her first thought was that she wanted to become a mentor, but she also wanted to promote mentorship. She felt that if she could reach out to young kids in middle school and really start to build that confidence in their formative years that this would have the greatest impact.  

My response to my mentee was first letting her know that her cause was nobel and that she should definitely find a way to become a mentor. During her story I could not help but think about what we are doing with our grant. She was very intrigued with our project and I encouraged her to stay in touch so that I could give her updates. I also encouraged her to find out how she could assist the communities that surrounded her as to not try and reinvent the wheel. There are many organizations dedicated to simular issues, that would give her opportunity to learn and fine tune her mission

No comments:

Post a Comment